Monday 27 May 2013

Falling Cable Hurts 10 NASCAR Fans

Charlotte NASCAR Sprint Cup runner-up Kasey Kahne believes the yellow should have come out sooner when a television camera cable fell onto the track in Sunday night's race.

The bizarre incident caused damage to 19 cars and also left 10 spectators with minor injuries.




NASCAR stopped the race to allow repairs to take place without any of the competitors involved being delayed.

Frontrunner Kyle Busch was one of those most seriously affected, and Kahne said his impact had been dramatic to watch as they raced together.



"I thought the cable was unbelievable. I've never seen anything like it. I came around Turn 4, saw it wrapped around Kyle's car, and it hit mine," he said.


"I thought I was seeing things, there's no way there could be a cable on the racetrack.


"By the time we got to Turn 1, I saw Kyle's car got down, like it jerked it down. I knew I wasn't seeing things. I was yelling at him going down the backstretch.


"We came back around and people were still hitting it.



"I was surprised there wasn't a caution a little bit quicker when you have something like that hanging. It was very surprising."


NASCAR competition director John Darby described the incident as unprecedented, and said the officials had been determined to ensure it did not affect the race order.


"I've been in this business 30 years, and I'm the last person in the world you will ever hear say 'I've seen it all' because there is no such thing," Darby said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Google Search